Wednesday, February 27, 2013
GEJ IS CLUELESS??? REALLY??? You are joking right? By Ena Ofugara
A TV documentary came out that showed Police College Ikeja to be an eyesore. GEJ did the implausible by a Nigerian leader. He went to visit a place just on the strength of a documentary. Soni Akoji last night insulted GEJ that he has visited the police College now and his committee has submitted report and he has locked it in a file to gather cobwebs, only for ikeja residence to scream that indeed work has reached advance stage already on the police college.
Now here is the interesting part.
1. Neither Sahara Reporters or any other newspaper reported the progress until recently. Does this not make you wonder what other good things sahara Reporters is not reporting and that like an owl, they are harbingers of bad news only?
2. GEJ GAVE THE CONTRACT TO THE ARMY. ARMYYYYY!!!!!!!
Not even past military leaders have reposed such faith in their own colleagues. They would have given it to Julius berger. But GEJ has for the first time made our army bless Nigeria without shooting a gun, planning a coup or quelling an unrest.THE ARMY IS INVOLVED IN CONSTRUTIVE NATION BUILDING.
Now this does a lot. No oyibo in Germany will be waiting for our money as profit. Instead our army men will feed their wives from the extra buck or two made.
3 Idle mind is the devil'sworkshop. he is keeping them busy
4. With all of the hostility between the army and police, a little comraderie and partnership from the building will be good for unity
5. In the army, you study different things and not just how to kill people or political science and taking coups. By utilizing the engineering department, soldiers have the opportunity to put what they have learnt into practice.
6. If the huge potentials and discipline and training and manpower of the army can be used this positively, what stops us from employing it for bridges, roads etc?
And to think that the man who promptly addressed the decay of the police college, a decay that has spanned through Gowon, Muritala, OBJ, Shagari, Buhari, IBB, Shonekan, Abacha, Abdul salam, OBJ (again!!!!) Yar'Adua, and now GEJ addresses it, to think that he is fixing it so brilliantly with the army and that the man GEJ that is doing this is widely called CLUELESS just has to be the worst disservice done to anyone and any president.
I continue to ask for debates on which president has done more for Nigeria than GEJ whether it be for his diversifying the economy and encouraging farming with our ports ready for exportation of our produce...first since the sixties and the groundnut pyramids, or perhaps the refurbishing of the airports or perhaps the resurrection of the rails, or perhaps the incontrovertible yet denied vast improvement in power, or the possibility of once again meeting all our cement needs domestically, or the repair of the Lagos Benin road (only road path linking East/South South with the West)which none other has been able to do or ...the list is endless.
Now when the British Prime Minister talks about India and Brazil and Indonesia and Nigeria in one breath with a tinge of trepidation at our progress, Nigerians ordinarily should be pleased as for the first time, it was not a Collin Powell saying we are a Nation of fraudsters. Instead it was to our potential finally turning kinetic. But not Nigerians. We prefer bad news and the insults. It pleases our collective sado-masochistic mindset when we are stripped bare and bashed.
The following is a facebook friends's articulation of GEJ's achievement. Notice the slow but steady movement from unstable to stable to viable etc